The decisions from the Supreme Court on Wednesday were good for the gay rights movement. Not complete equality, but good. However, that movement has enough momentum that it will happen. It is now inevitable. It may be 5 or 10 years, but eventually there will be marriage equality all over the USA. But what's next? What other movements will we need to have? How many individual acts of discrimination do we need to attack separately?
We have already fought against racism and sexism. Those battles are still being fought in many ways, but particularly racism is all but dead. But what about discrimination against trans people? Fat people? Pot smokers? Ugly people? There are lots of groups of people that we discriminate against that we aren't even talking about treating equally.
For this discussion, I want to focus on gainers. There is actually quite a bit of acceptance for fat people in the gay community--maybe not among twinks, but among bears, chubs, chasers. There are lots of guys who like fat guys and lots of guys who like being fat and most people are relatively okay with that. But especially outside of the gay community, I think there is a large amount of negative sentiment toward obesity. Obesity is something that the news likes to report about all the time, and how horrible it is. Even in some "It gets better videos", I heard many people talking about getting fat as if it were some kind of punishment, and that for people who were bullies in school becoming fat was like revenge for the bullied people.
Why does equality matter for us gainers/encouragers? Yeah, we could just keep hiding the way that many of us do, perhaps pretending that growing fat was accidental (which, I understand, for some it is, and that's fine). Yes, we can be happy keeping our lifestyle to ourselves. But, imagine what we could do if we were equal. Imagine the scientific research that could be done. Research to indicate more precisely what the causes of certain obesity-related medical concerns were. For example, diabetes. We could be part of scientific studies. We eat certain diets and gain lots of weight and monitor what types of diseases are most commonly contracted with what types of diets. We could do great research in this regard and pave the way for future gainers who wish to get really fat without getting a bunch of health complications.
But also think about more possibilities. What if we really could get reverse lipo-suction? It is always potentially dangerous to transplant one person's cells into another person, so extreme caution is necessary when doing things like that. Also, the question of how many additional fat cells the body can take at any particular time and (if repeat procedures are desired) how long between procedures would a person need to wait? These are questions which would be much easier to answer if we were all treated "normal". If choosing to become obese was not stigmatized the way it is. I would gladly sign up for a transplant of fat cells from another person, if the procedure were known to be safe and were legally allowed.
And this is just the tip of the iceberg. I'm sure other people can come up with so many other ideas (real-world ideas, not just fantasies--even though I'm a huge fan of weight-gain fantasies) about how the gainer community could be helped by being part of normal society. In fact, if you have any ideas, please leave them in the comments. Think about how lives can be changed, how we as a community could grow (pun intended) and become much more enabled.
Sadly, I don't think that a "gainers rights movement" will (or necessarily should) happen any time soon. But I do think that it could be very beneficial. I think that it could help a lot. And I think that what we are doing on the Internet is helping people to be (even if ever so slightly) more tolerant, or at least aware that we exist.
"We have already fought against racism and sexism. Those battles are still being fought in many ways, but particularly racism is all but dead."
ReplyDeleteThey're still on rocky footing within the populace though, a hurdle that many need to overcome themselves and stop alienating others for. I doubt we'll ever come across complete dissolution of either of those problems until enough minds open up.
I don't think it's specific diseases that're flagged by specific diets. It's more about the genetic flagging we're born with, whether or not they'll thrive and flourish or remain latent and possibly never occur to us (but may pass into our children and show symptoms).
While reverse liposuction would seem like a wish-come-true for those that do desire a bigger frame without the over-eating and time, it sounds a bit more science-fiction that it would work like that. The human body can only hold so much before it starts to stretch at its limits (thus stretch marks and gravity taking over, pulling the weight down).
I highly doubt that until we evolve into a greater mindset, none of the sexual fetish fields will ever remain anything more than taboo to most and ideal to others. Everyone has their own things/ideas of the world and what should and shouldn't go on, and until we transcend such petty beliefs, we'll remain grounded and at each other's throats in one way or another.